Due to a slight mis-calculation on the amount of Internet I use monthly, I ran out of data for my data bundle.
Yes, I know everyone says get ASDL or uncapped or whatever but none of those options are mobile. I want my Internet fast and I want it now, not after I find a hotspot, work out the password, wait twenty years for a video to download.
I want to whip my device out, press a button and have streaming Internet, video and music at speeds that are as close to instant as possible.
Anyway, that is not what this post is really about. I thought I would discuss my thoughts on not having instant Internet for a week, in fact not having Internet anywhere but at my desk at the office.
It was yucky. It was boring. It was not how I enjoy my life.
Now don't go thinking I am an Internet junkie that can't go without his fix for more than a few hours. I am not or at least I do not believe I am.
What bugged me was not the inability to access my Facebook, Google or e-mail. I could, at the office.
It was the other things, the weather update, the traffic apps, my news headline feeds.
Oh but you say we used to get those before the Internet, we watched the weather on the TV we listened to the news headlines on the radio.
Yes we did.
I don't watch TV anymore.
I don't listen to the radio anymore.
I am no longer forced to follow and listen to what others think I should be made aware of, I am now free to choose.
It is that freedom that the Internet and more specifically, mobile Internet has given me that I missed when unplugged.
It is true that I don't have much Internet when I am vacationing in the Kruger Park, but I get the very basics, the background updates to keep me informed on routes, weather, news etc.
That's all I want, to be plugged in, to be a part of the greater collective.
No comments:
Post a Comment